Monday 26 November 2012

Kafou


Thought I'd share this exhibition that I visited at the weekend called 'Kafou' at Nottingham Contemporary.

The exhibition has a collection of paintings, sculptures and sequin flags of Haitian art. I thought this exhibition would be relevant to what I am currently researching with the imagery and visual language of folk art- the exhibition is a celebration of 'naive', 'self- taught' art, which has a link to folk.

As discussed in my previous post I also have an interest in fairy tales and the magical potential in the stories. The Kafou exhibition shows how Haitian art is inspired by vodou and spiritual beliefs; vodou has aspects of Catholicism, Islam, European folklore and freemasonary. The different pieces in the show had a story too them and had a richness and charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment